Since 2003, BlazeSports AmericaTM has been a training and education leader in the field of adaptive sports and recreation. The BlazeSports Institute for Applied Science is now the BlazeSports America Institute for Adaptive Sports and Recreation™ – offering certification opportunities, online tools and resources to build the core competencies of adaptive sports practitioners working with Youth, Adults and Veterans with a physical disability.
In Fall 2017, the BlazeSports Institute is expanding its continuing studies offerings and updating its certification program. With this expansion, the BlazeSports Institute will offer a wider array of opportunities for adaptive sports education through a variety of learning formats, access to a wider pool of resources including webinars & podcasts, e-newsletters with updates on the latest research & trends, as well as best practices in the field.
BlazeSports America is excited to offer more resources to train professionals and volunteers interested in adaptive sports and recreation – whether new to the field or an experienced practitioner!
- More continuing education opportunities
- New updates on industry trends
- Sharing of research and best practices
BlazeSports Institute’s goal:
- To build the capacity of community-based practitioners to provide adaptive sport and recreation programs for individuals with physical disabilities.
BlazeSports Institute Objectives:
- Improve the knowledge and skills of adaptive sport providers
- Increase the number of adaptive or inclusive sport programs in communities and schools
- Increase the number of individuals with physical disabilities participating in sport and physical activity
BlazeSports Institute Components:
- Industry-recognized certification program- Certified Adaptive Recreation and Sports SpecialistTM (CARSSTM)
- Quarterly podcasts/webinars on new and emerging topics delivered by experts in the field
- National conference (offered every other year)
- Quarterly e-newsletter featuring updates on the latest research, trends & best practices
- In-person training workshops
- Coaching and technical assistance
- Online resource center of tools and resources
- Team of regional trainers
BlazeSports Institute Advisory Board:
The BlazeSports Institute is honored to have the following individuals serve on the BlazeSports Institute Advisory Committee. The Committee will provide guidance and direction for the Institute.
BlazeSports Institute Advisory Committee (confirmed members as of 11/1/2017):
- Dr. Robert Arnhold, Professor and Coordinator of the Adapted Physical Activity Program at Slippery Rock University
- Dr. Gavin Colquitt, Associate Professor, School of Health and Kinesiology, Georgia Southern University
- Jill Gravink, MS, CTRS/L, Director at Northeast Passage and Clinical Professor at University of New Hampshire
- John O’Sullivan, Founder, Changing the Game Project
- Dr. Deborah Shapiro, Associate Professor, Kinesiology and Health, Georgia State University
- Jessica Galli-Cloy, 4-time Paralympian, Vice Chair – U.S. Paralympic Athlete Advisory Council
Certified Adaptive Recreation and Sport SpecialistTM
As a part of our expansion, the BlazeSports Institute has our adaptive sports certification program. The Certified Disability Sports Specialist credential has been updated with the Certified Adaptive Recreation and Sports Specialist (CARSS)™. CARSS replaces the current Certified Disability Sport Specialist certification (CDSS) to reflect more accurately where the field has evolved. CARSS was developed by BlazeSports America with the expertise and input of a wide-range of professionals in the adaptive sports field. The goal of the updated CARSS certification program is to even better prepare those new to adaptive sports and recreation, as well as increase the knowledge and core competencies of adaptive sports professionals currently working in the field. The updated CARSS certification program highlights the most relevant, practical information for developing and implementing successful adaptive sports and recreation programs for Youth, Adults and Veterans with various physical disabilities.
For a full overview of the CARSSTM Program please click HERE
Tools and Resources
BlazeSports offers online tools and resources including webinars, video and audio podcasts for adaptive sport and physical activity. Click HERE to see the full list of Training Tools and Resources.