Since 2009, BlazeSports AmericaTM has been a training and education leader in the field of adaptive sports and recreation. The BlazeSports Institute for Applied Science is now the BlazeSports America Institute for Adaptive Sports and Recreation™ – offering certification opportunities, online tools and resources to build the core competencies of adaptive sports practitioners working with youth, adults and veterans with a physical disability.
In Fall 2017, the BlazeSports Institute will announce the expansion and update of its curriculum and continuing studies certification program. With this expansion, the BlazeSports Institute will offer a wider array of opportunities for adaptive sports education through a variety of learning formats (online & in the classroom), access to a wider pool of resources including webinars & podcasts, e-newsletters with updates on the latest research & trends, as well as best practices in the field.
BlazeSports America is excited to be able to offer more resources to train professionals and volunteers interested in adapted sports and recreation – whether new to the field or looking to grow an established program!
- More continuing education opportunities
- New updates on industry trends
- Sharing of research and best practices
BlazeSports Institute’s goal:
- To build the capacity of community-based practitioners to provide adaptive sport and physical activity programs for individuals with physical disabilities.
BlazeSports Institute Objectives:
- Improve the knowledge and skills of adaptive sport providers
- Increase the number of adaptive or inclusive sport programs in communities and schools
- Increase the number of individuals with physical disabilities participating in sport and physical activity
BlazeSports Institute Components:
- Industry-recognized certification program- Certified Adaptive Recreation and Sports Specialist (CARSS)
- Quarterly podcasts/webinars on new and emerging topics delivered by experts in the field
- National conference (offered every other year)
- Quarterly e-newsletter
- In-person training workshops
- Coaching and technical assistance
- Peer-to-peer learning opportunities/learning communities
- Online resource center of tools and resources
Certified Adaptive Recreation and Sport SpecialistTM
As a part of our expansion, the BlazeSports Institute is also updating our adaptive sports certification program. The Certified Disability Sports Specialist credential will be updated as Certified Adaptive Recreation and Sports Specialist (CARSS)™. CARSS will replace the current Certified Disability Sport Specialist certification (CDSS) to reflect more accurately where the field has evolved. CARSS was developed by BlazeSports America with the expertise and input of a wide-range of professionals in the adaptive sports field. The goal of the updated CARSS certification program is to even better prepare those new to adaptive sports and recreation, as well as increase the knowledge and core competencies of adaptive sports professionals currently working in the field. The updated CARSS certification program highlights the most relevant, practical information for developing and implementing successful adaptive sports and recreation programs for Youth, Adults and Veterans with various physical disabilities.
For a full overview of the CARSSTM Program please click HERE
Tools and Resources
BlazeSports offers distance learning opportunities via webinars, video and audio podcasts for professionals, academicians and students in the fields of Paralympic sports, adapted physical education, therapeutic recreation and related topics.
Click HERE to see the full list of Training Tools and Resources