USAID’s Sports for Youth with Disabilities Initiative is a 36-month sport development and health project in Kampala and Gulu. The project’s goal is to contribute to the improved physical literacy and the increased inclusion of children with physical disabilities in sport and recreation programs in the community. Physical literacy is the ability, confidence and desire to be physically active for life. This is a growing movement across the globe linked to better health, prevention of chronic health conditions, and improved physical activity.
The initiative will host eight training workshops from 2017-2019 that equip 240 local leaders in Uganda on inclusive strategies to engage youth with physical disabilities through sport and activity. Trainings hosted in Kampala and Gulu will be followed by inclusive sports festivals for the children with and without disabilities (reaching nearly 1,000 children) as an opportunity for trained leaders to implement learned skills and to promote positive messaging regarding individuals with physical disabilities.
About the USAID Sports for Youth with Disabilities Project
- Three year project Oct 1, 2016 – Sept 30, 2019
- Target regions: Kampala and Gulu
- 3 main project components:
- Partnership Development
- Capacity Building
- Program Development
- By the end of the project, we hope that together we can:
- Secure strong multi-sector support and commitment for recommendations in Call to Action document
- Contribute to the development of a sustainable infrastructure for furthering the goals in the Call to Action
- Train 240 community-based practitioners in adaptive sport, inclusion and physical literacy
- Serve 1000 children with and without disabilities through sports festivals and seed-funded programs (50% girls with disabilities)
- Project Lead: BlazeSports International
- In-country Project Partner: Uganda Paralympic Committee
About BlazeSports International
As a USAID registered Private Voluntary Organization with support from the U.S. Department of State and the United Nations Office on Sport for Development and Peace, BlazeSports International has worked alongside project partners to launch new sport for social change initiatives and strengthen existing programs in Brazil, Egypt, Haiti, Jordan, Russia, South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago.
For more information, please contact email@example.com or visit www.blazesports.org.