The 33rd Annual Dixie Games concluded on Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 12th with Track and Field at Alfred E. Thompson Stadium located on the beautiful campus of Westminster Schools Atlanta. The 33rd installment of the Dixie Games marked its return to Atlanta after three highly successful years in Tampa. Hillsborough County Parks and Recreation and Paralympic Sport Club Tampa Bay set the bar high as hosts over the last three years but BlazeSports and Shepherd Center met the challenge and provided three full days of competition.
Highlights from the 2013 Dixie Games include:
- Over 200 athletes, coaches, officials and volunteers attended the Dixie Games which offered Paralympic-style competition in, Archery, Table Tennis, Boccia, Weightlifting, Track and Field, Swimming, and Wheelchair Fencing
- 22 Veterans with a disability competed in the Dixie Games including 13 who are active participants in the BlazeSports Military Sport and Recreation Program
- One world record was eclipsed in the Long Jump by Josh Kennsion who is a quadrilateral amputee who runs and jumps on prosthetics
- One America’s record was eclipsed in discus by Atlanta athlete Cassie Mitchell who is also a Shepherd Center Athlete
- Numerous National Track and Field records were broken including five by our very own Georgia Blazers; Collin Lancaster, Curran Brown, Bryan Powell, James Adams and Ja-Que Billingsley and,
- Two National records by Shepherd Center athlete and BlazeSports Board of Directors member Duane Morrow
- Curtis Lovejoy, 5-time Paralympian, Shepherd Center Athlete and Coach, was inducted into the Dixie Wheelchair Athletic Association Hall of Fame
Archery: Catalina Bustamante, Mitchell Miles, Jon Moore
Fencing: Ellen Geddes, DeJuan Surrell
Swimming: Nigel Hambrick, Ashley Bateman, Beecher Bruno, Madison Stanley
Table Tennis: Jeff DeLeon, Catalina Bustamante
Weightlifting: Michelle Gowland, Johnnie Alexander, Ja-Que Billingsley, Matthew Giardino
Boccia: Tim Field
Field: Crystal Molina, Dylan Wilson, Centra Mazyck, James Johnson
Track: Curran Brown, Cole Wooten, Michelle Taylor Page, Jose Pulido
Spirit of Excellence Award selection is based upon effort, sportsmanship, knowledge of the sport, and being a role model.
You view photos from the 2013 Dixie Games here:
Thank you to all the sponsors, volunteers, athletes, coaches, and officials that made the 2013 Dixie Games a success.